Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Winter Blues and Greys

As a lifelong Michiganian I am quite disappointed by the lack of snow on the ground this year. Honestly, snow is a special gift that I love to love and by the beginning of March, love to hate. The special relationship I have with snow is strained because I have not shoveled one single flake since...well I can not recall. It had to be sometime in the beginning of 2011. It is sad really. The kids are bummed about it. It just looks dead and grey outside. Sure the sky is a vivid blue and the sun is shining, but with no bright white snow on the ground to light up the whole of the outdoors. Yes, I am waxing poetic about snow, well the lack of it really. I like to shovel. I love to walk the dog through the snow. I love to see the snow forts my kids make. I even like to drive in the snow. I feel somewhat abandon by my lovely, white, flakey, frosty friend. The seasonal changes are my favorite thing about the marvelous mitten that is Michigan. It is Michigan's charm, the feather in her cap, if you will, is her wily weather. I miss her wily ways. I need some snow. I want snow. They say absence makes the heart grow fonder, and in this case it is true. I can not think of one bad thing to say about snow. It's pretty. It makes the whole outside look magical. And I miss it, so much. I am going to research some snow dances and rituals that will help lure some much missed flakes to my part of the world. Let there be snow!

No comments:

Post a Comment