Thursday, January 5, 2012

Girl Time

You know how a certain recently retired talkshow host always talked about making "you" a priority? Well this weekend, I am actually taking that advice, and heading out on a "girls weekend". The last girls weekend I had was in September of 2009....yeah, I know it is 2012. At least it is happening. I could not be more excited. Which I am totally containing around my family so they do not think I want to get away from them. I do. However, not because they are bad or defective, but because sometimes their many needs completely overwhelm my basic needs. Do you have any idea how many days around 10am I realize I have not eaten? Yes, some days the running about packing lunches, backpacks, finding clothes, and everything else makes me forget to eat. Yes, I am hungry when I wake up. The dog is hungry too, and she is more wiggly and persistent than I. She always has her breakfast by 7am, at the latest. Frankly, I need to adopt more of my family's persistent habits and learn to make them work on myself. I am pretty sure if I put my needs first they would all survive. I just have not put that into practice.
Anyway, this weekend is mine. Well, mine along with three other women who can also probably confess that they forget to eat and do a lot of other things for themselves. This weekend the Windy City should be on alert. We have made ourselves top priority. Yes, our husbands can handle the kids or they can't...I have decided that's not my problem. Perhaps I will call and check in, but I am not solving problems. I am not finding missing clothes from my mobile phone. I will not figure out a carpool (technically, I already arranged it). I am not telling anyone what to eat or when. I am resolute about this. I am taking the weekend off from the usual. This weekend is about my friends and me, being us...the us that we are are when we are not mom, wife, employee, and all the other titles we hold. This weekend we are The Girls.

1 comment:

  1. awesome! The CEO/COO/CFO also needs a weekend off!!! have a blast =)

    ReplyDelete