Monday, January 9, 2012

Re-entry

I must completely endorse taking a couple days of "just for you time". My weekend with my girlfriends was BEYOND wonderful. I can not say we did anything extreme or crazy...well aside from not doing laundry or cooking a meal. Talking, shopping (not crazy, mostly looking), a comedy show, and fun dinners & drinks. Honestly, so simple and so lovely, and so temporary.

Now I must share that re-entry into domestic life has been sudden and harsh. I love my husband and kids...they are precious. They also are completely confounded by the most basic of household operations. Here are a few of the most confusing things about our household.

  1. The dishwasher is next to the kitchen sink. This is clearly too close for easy use. I left it empty and unlocked, this also seemed to make people believe it was broken or somehow not able to accept dirty dishes. Whatever the issue was I found that the dishes slipped quite easily into the machine upon my return.
  2. The magical chute for clothing located in the bathroom. Yes, there is a special chute that takes dirty clothes from the upstairs to the basement where a magical 5'8" elf makes it clean again. Somehow, dirty clothing is too heavy to make it off the bedroom floors in this house. It seems especially challenging for my daughter, who has a room right next to the room with the magical chute for clothing. I may have to look into a strength training regime for her.
  3. The magical 5'8" elf is not always in the basement doing laundry. Sometimes she is in Chicago
Today, I am household recovery mode. It is all worth it. I would not trade my life with anyone. Do I complain? Yes, I am human. I also completely celebrate that I have 3 humans, 1 cat, 1 dog, and a fish that need me to function. I will continue to try clear up all the "confusing" things that exist in our house, sometimes in a raised voice. Good, bad, or ugly, re-entry has happened, and I am okay with it...really, I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment