Thursday, January 12, 2012

The Blessings of Age

The New Year always brings a new year to my age. It is the blessing of being born on January 1st. Trust me there are very few other perks to having a holiday birthday. I am one year short of a significant birthday. I define "significant" as a number that ends in 0 or 5, all the other years are just birthdays...okay 21 was pretty significant, but that is certainly not my next big day. So anyway, I am approaching a significant age, and I oddly feel more youthful than I have in years. I never have felt old, well if I am sick then I feel old, otherwise I pretty much always feel about 27 years old. Why 27? Who knows, just liked that age. Lately I have been very energized and positive about life in general. Why I attribute this to feeling young, I do not know. Perhaps such confidence and vigor should be credited to life experience. I know for a fact if someone gave me a magical potion that could make me 27 again, I would not take it. Seriously. Even though the hair color would be all natural, the crows feet would be non-existent, and body would be rockin'...I am staying in the here and now. I feel like the best is yet to come, and I say that while relishing the present. My kids are fabulous, not perfect, but perfectly normal. My spouse is the whole package, handsome, hardworking, and hilarious. Really that is all a girl can ask for, except I have won some kind of powerball lottery in life, because I have amazing friends. They are the kind of people that are there no matter what. Honestly, if I broke my leg or was for some reason bedridden my friends would literally take care of me. How lucky? Insanely. Beyond blessed to have that kind of love and devotion from people that are not even related to me. Somedays it just occurs me that I have more than I deserve in the love and caring department. It also inspires me to put that love and positivity back out there. Not just to my friends and family, but to the world. So as I'm approaching a significant birthday, I am realizing that the most significant thing in life is the people we choose to welcome into our lives. When I was 27, I had no clue. So I will keep what I have and keep building.

2 comments:

  1. You have good friends because you ARE a good friend! I'm super glad to call you a friend! (Plus, you bring me coffee in bed!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe Pam. I have learned from some of the best. Wish I was close enough to coffee with you in person more often. Love you!

    ReplyDelete