Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Stuff People Do in Cars

This morning I was taking a walk, organizing my thoughts, planning the attack plan for my day, and getting some excercise. I know that I should use the time to clear my mind, but you don't live I this brain so reserve judgement. Anyway what I observed people doing in there vehicles whilst driving made my walking mental jungle gym look like nothing at all. The crazy stuff people do while driving in thousands of pounds of metal with a gas combustion engine blows my mind. Let me also add a portion of my walk is along a fairly heavily traveled 45 mph suburban road, so this is not just going 20 mph in the subdivision stuff.
Here are some examples....
  1. Eating food with utensils. I saw three different people driving and spooning food into their mouths. The other hand holding a cup and the steering wheel simultaneously. I get it, they are busy, hungry, and late. We have all been there. Can't they pick a food choice that is more simple? Why not a breakfast bar? That is a food begging to be eaten on the go. You should not bring a spoon or fork into the driver seat with you. Imagine stopping short and lodging that down your throat...not good. Now imagine what the paramedics are going be saying about you as they cart you to the hospital. Seriously, lets think the eating and driving thing through.
  2. Reading. Yes, reading. At a stop light some guy picked up his morning paper from the passenger seat, laid it across the steering wheel and read at the light. I know, he was stopped. However, what is so interesting that he can not bear to sit at a light just waiting for the minute or whatever that it is red? Have we as a society become so short attention spanned that a traffic light is now "wasted time" that requires filling? The newspaper is a special moment for me. I would not like the distraction of having to stop reading to start driving. However, that may just reflect my priorities.
  3. Make-up application. Sorry sisters, do not put your face on while driving, the reasons are plentiful. It is not optimal lighting, so the results are not going be stellar. Also it is a single focus thing, you can not see the road and look up and to the left to get your eye liner on just right. Please also take into account that mascara wands are not something you want jammed into your eye. You only get two eyes in this life...or so I have been told. Don't stupidly poke one out doing 45 mph with some darkest brown lengthening mascara. Just one person's opinion.
  4. Texting. Okay, on this one I should add phone talking too, but I am guilty of the "talk and drive". However, I can see the road and talk at the same time...but I'm aware some conversations can be distracting. Okay driving texters, I feel your pain and temptation. I too am tempted to check my phone when the "text beep" sounds. I have the funny friend who always sends a funny comment or story and it begs a quick witty response. However, a person can not drive, see the road, and type a witty response all at once. Its is just not wise or safe. Confession: I have, on several occasions, thrown my phone to my third row of seating when the text beep comes through. I am too weak not to take a peak. Others need to be as wise, and have as good of an arm.
Driving is not a multi-task activity. Our minds are already geared with so many distracting thoughts, the food, newspapers, grooming, and phones really do not need to add to the "noise" that being human already generates. Keep it safe and I will work on zero phone usage in the car. Promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment