Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Word...Its Wednesday

This word has a bit of a story behind it, also a good vocabulary builder. We all know someone who defines this word for us.
lachrymose (LAH-krih-mose) adjective. Describes someone who cries at the drop of a hat.
Vivian is the most lachrymose person I have ever met, she was just crying about the new Pampers commercial.
Do you have your most lachrymose friend in mind? If you can't think of one, well my friend, then you are the crier in your circle of friends. I have quite a few lachrymose friends, and I swear it is not me making them cry. For years I had prided myself on being a stoic, tough as nails, very little made me cry. Sure, I felt sad at appropriate things and a tear or two may have welled up, but not a big cryer. Then I joined a moms group and met the lachrymose ladies. Honestly, happy or sad, tears at every group meeting. Give one of these gals a card and you better have a hankie handy too. I mocked, and then I became one of them. Now I often laugh to tears, hear a moving sermon and tear up, cry for others lost loved ones (even if I do not know the loved one)...you get it, I have become what I had once mocked, a lachrymose lady. Tell me about your second cousin's dog that died...I will cry. The barrista is going through a divorce...tears in the coffee shop. Call me a sissy if you want, I cry because I care, and I am still tough as nails.

2 comments:

  1. I disagree, you have always been a crier. Maybe I think that because you would always cry with me, I am lachrymose for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "If you cry, I shall cry too" from the Madeline book. Loved ones crying does make me cry.

    ReplyDelete