Thursday, June 17, 2010

How "Trying"...

(Due to sexual content--well mention of sex--this post is not advised for those who have not had "the talk" or made it though the 6th grade module of Health and Human Growth)
Today I shall lament on one of great pet peeves of my adulthood; when a couple announces they "are trying". If you are not familiar with this, the "trying", I speak of is trying to conceive a child. Love kids, love when people tell me they are going to actually have a baby, but please spare me the lead up. I am not a prude. I just do not particularly care to know that people, specific people, are trying to be "fruitful" with their sexual relations. One assumes and hopes that couples engage in regular sessions of intimate activities. That is normal, good, healthy and hopefully a lot of fun for all involved. HOWEVER, let us keep these things assumed among friends. Nothing kills a good BBQ or other social occasion than people openly announcing "we are sexually active and looking to populate the planet". I often want to excuse myself when people say "we are trying", clearly I am thwarting their efforts by "trying" to enjoying the appetizers in their kitchen. By the way the appetizers are always less appetizing after such declarations.

I am in a clear minority with my disdain for the declared "triers". These are good sensible people, just a bit too free flowing with personal information. My own mother-in-law chastised my husband and I after we announced the impending birth of her first grandchild. First, she said "Oh that is wonderful" quickly followed by, "You NEVER told us you were TRYING". Seriously? Really? How awkward is that? True, we told no one we were "trying". Especially our parents. It never occurred to either of us that it was a matter of public record. Apparently, if you do not make a declaration of intent, then any offspring produced (from undeclared coitus) will be considered "happy accidents". Its a strange world we are living in people.

Fully aware that "outing" my dislike for this public declaration of a private matter may make some of my friend readers wonder if they are the ones I am referencing. Lets leave it at perhaps, but really this is a general issue that has been overheard in bookstores, coffee shops, and malls. I say talking sex as a general issue is fine, talking about the sex you are having and its end game strategy...unsavory, disconcerting, and upsetting to a creative mind (no one wants to picture it). So that is the the issue that has been "trying" my delicate sensibilities, for the last several years. I know the world will not change for one quirky person. Perhaps now that many friends and acquaintances have declared their families "complete" (as have I). This "trying" problem may be coming to an end. Well, a girl can only hope.

5 comments:

  1. Initially, I assumed this was a lament about some less-than-ideal parenting scenario you found yourself in. However, I had to chuckle at your take on announcing "trying". I've found it odd, too, that people will tell THEIR PARENTS about what is going on in their bedroom. Ewwwwwwwwwwwww.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy, if you ever meet my husband...he is TMI about everything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy the "unfiltered" people generally...just not on this subject. Its my "one thing"---if only it were only one thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To loosely quote the great thinker Yoda, "There is no try, only do". I don't need to know about do, I'll figure it all out when you invite me to the shower.

    ReplyDelete