Monday, June 14, 2010

It's a Cats Life

I do not envy many people. All of us have a share of joy and sorrow in life. Nobody has everything, everybody has something, and nobody has nothing....that is what I know for sure. I am also sure this applies to people only. My cat, Yoda, has it all, in spades. She gets up when she wants, eats when she wants, sleeps when she wants, gets attention when she wants. She owns us. She owns the house. Furthermore, she owns our hearts. I envy Yoda, she has it all figured out.

A sweet little Himalyan cat from a small pet store called Fish & Friends (she was one of the friends) came into my life almost 16 years ago. I was young, living in a new place, and wanting something to be responsible for, but clearly not ready to reproduce. My parents gave me Yoda (that does not sound very responsible, but at the time it was HUGE). Yoda, has become a pet, a character, and the voice of all negative things. Yes, Yoda gives voice to all the bad things that we will not say. No, she does not really talk (I do have a grip on reality...it is a tentative one, but a grip none the less). However, since the day she arrived at the house of two newlyweds to this day as she lives with a family of four, Yoda is the devil's advocate. Lately, since she is getting on in years, my beloved wondered aloud, "Who will spew the venom once Yoda is gone?"

Who indeed? Who will mock us when we do not have a cat to mock each other through? Yoda has called my beloved cheap, angry, egotistical, and a plethora of other awful things. When Yoda insults someone it is funny. Likewise, Yoda has called me a bad cook, frigid, a b****, and more hideous things. Everything said through the cat is funny. Yes, there is the sting of some truth, but mostly she is the perfect channel for saying something mean, and not having to own it. Yoda, speaks truth. The kind of truth that carries no consequences. Yes, this is odd, but it works. It is impossible to be angry with a fluffy little cat. Even if that cat tells you that you clothing choice is "questionable, at best" (yes, she is a stylist at times). A cat that was our first child, marriage counselor, and a house pet...and the voice of all things that can not be said by non-furry mammals with pointy ears. How will we ever cope without her? I guess we will just need to take extra good care of her and hope she lives as long as her namesake. I am certain there is not another cat that can replace her. It is a cat's life...indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment