Friday, January 4, 2013

Watch This!

On December 21st, 2012 the most amazing thing was discovered at my house.  Let me give you some back story before I get to my point. It is the build up that is where the story is...or so I tell myself.  December 21 was a Friday, it was suppose to be the end of the world, but it turns out the Mayans just ran out of circular tablets to chisel (my interpretation based on no fact what-so-ever) Anyway, this day was a busy one.  My son's Cub Scout Pack was having a holiday potluck dinner and I am not just a den leader, but some sort of party planner for the Pack.  My exceptional organization skills, coupled with owning a clipboard have made me seem like a reliable person for such events.  Most of my day was spent making sure my vehicle was loaded with the need table coverings, beverages, the awards for my den...a lot of shit, okay, lots and lots of shit in my vehicle, and a dish to pass.  You may imagine my temperament was less than lovely on this day ( the day the world did not end).  This event coupled with the fact that I had a family party at my house the following Sunday, and of course Christmas the following Tuesday.  It was hot mess time.  I had lists, my lists had lists, my clipboard was full, my wits were at their very end.  The Pack potluck ended up going fine, well it was over and that was all that mattered to me at the time.  A giant check could be made on this event and this day.  I did what most well adjusted people do after making it through a hectic event, I put my kids to bed and opened a beer.  This is where the best thing happened.  My December 21st miracle.  The life changer.  I turned on the television, flipped through the guide of 200 channels that generally disappoint me.  On this day my highlight on the guide stopped at A&E on a show called Duck Dynasty.  Bonus, it was on a marathon. (insert a "YES" with a fist pump)

I had seen posts on my social media about Duck Dynasty.  Some from people I actually respect.  I had never happened across it prior to this night.  The blessing of the Duck Dynasty marathon was exactly what I needed at this moment. (And beer was the correct call on beverage) Here is a brief synopsis of the show...it is a reality show based on the Robertson family of  Louisiana.  The family was poor, but made its fortune through duck calls made by Phil, the patriarch of the family.  Phil's middle son, Willie, went to business school and took the mom & pop business to a multi-million dollar business called Duck Commander and they also make Deer Commander calls.  The back story is great, but the best it just the way the family interacts.  It is a reality show with real feeling.  The Robertson family embraces their humble roots.  They seem to take the term red-neck as badge of honor, which is awesome.  It is just a show you just have to see.  It is funny, heartwarming, and you really just want to go hang out with these people.  My favorites are Jase and Uncle Si (he is a Vietnam veteran who has great stories he claims are 95% true).  I feel sad that I am so late to the DD party.  So if any of you were under the same rock I was...crawl out, now go check out the most fabulous reality show EVER.    

No comments:

Post a Comment