Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Obsessed with Socks

My sister gave me a great pair of blue striped socks for my birthday.  You may be thinking, "Big deal. Socks."

Yes!  Big huge, super awesome deal.  These are the best socks ever.  I have waited outside the dryer for these socks because they are soft and warm, but not too warm.  They are wool, but not itchy.  These socks are perfect in boots, trainers, loafers...really every shoe I own except pumps.  Striped socks look exceptionally silly with pumps.  These socks make my feet smile.  After three weeks of waiting outside the dryer, and once double wearing the socks without washing (Yes, I did that. My daughter chastised me, and she was correct in doing so.  Message sent, message received, socks get washed after EVERY wearing), I finally went to the fancy outdoor store (REI) and found more pairs of these great socks.  Now I have four pair.  My favorite will always be the blue striped socks from my sister.  It is not easy finding socks when you have big feet.  So often the heel of the sock does not meet the heel of my actual foot causing an odd feeling, and causing the sock to slouch and bunch around the ankle.  Men's socks are larger, but larger all around and often bunch in shoes (very uncomfortable).  My sister knows the pain of finding good socks that do not cause annoyance.  We are both big footed ladies.  My daughter is following in our big footsteps and has learned to appreciate a fine fitting pair of socks.  There are tons of worse things than having big feet.  Stubby toes...now that it is a hideous thing.  I do not think I could wear open toed sandals if I had stubby toes.  When your feet are long, generally your toes are long, unless you had a run in with a lawn mower when you were wearing flip flops (In which case, I am sorry.  And I am sure your learned your lesson).

I am obsessed with socks.  It is okay.  Thus far I have been able to function as a semi-productive member of society.  Mostly, I am just grateful to have finally met a great pair of socks.  Thank you Betsy.  Very truly, my favorite birthday gift this year.  A gift that keeps giving warmth and joy.

Happy Wednesday.  Please stay warm and do not leave you kids or pets outside for extended periods of time.

2 comments:

  1. my question is how do YOU keep from losing socks? I have so many single socks in my orphan basket that I could knit a sweater...if I was into that sort of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We generally have about ten missing socks, and then the partner is found in a sweatshirt (static cling) and then another goes missing. It is usually the little socks, and shorty athletic socks. I would cry if one of my precious socks went missing...since tears are so useful ;)

    ReplyDelete