Tuesday, January 15, 2013

First World Problems

Do you ever stop and think about the things you consider "problems" in your life?  Since I am an analytic type person, I do often classify my problems.  Or what I think are problems.  Not being able to find my mobile phone, is not really a problem.  The frothing machine being on the fritz at you local coffee haunt causing you not to get a latte, not really a problem.  Pants not fitting properly, frustrating, but not a real problem.  A crabby kid not wanting to go to school; annoying, yes, an actual problem???  Umm, NO.  Pretty much all of my problems are first world problems. Problems that exist living in a nation of abundance.  Yes, there are Americans that struggle with real issues of hunger, illness, lack of housing, and many more really serious issues.  However, most of us are sitting rather pretty, with plenty of everything and failing to fully regard, and be grateful for our abundance.  We as a population seem too focused on what we do not have instead of noticing how insanely blessed we all are.

This past summer my good friend and her family traveled to Tanzania.  While in Tanzania they did take a safari, as that is a major tourist draw in that nation.  However, prior to their safari, they spent time touring hospitals, schools, and learning about what life is like for Tanzanians.  The short version of what Tanzanian life is like, HARD.  My friend informed me that although daily life is hard, filled with real problems & struggles, the people are happy and generous.  My friend's children, both teens, learned that education is valued, and not provide by the government.  Families save, and sacrifice, and often have to send their children hours away to get a good education.  My daughter whines about how early the bus comes, but every night she gets to spend the night with her family.  Tanzanian students often have to take years off of school to work and help their families save money before they can continue.  Early bus rides, clearly a first world problem.  My friend said the most striking part of Tanzanian life is how much of it is centered around just getting water.  It is a daily concern, and large chore, and during the dry season an overwhelming problem if a well goes dry.  In comparison, we fill pools with water and splash in them.  We run through sprinklers.  We complain if our local governments put watering restrictions on our lawn and garden irrigation in the hot summer months.  Very first world problems.  I can not imagine having to carry water from a well through a village so I could cook or clean.  Face it, when the power goes out I turn very whiny and sissy.  I am such a first world problem diva.  

I am not advocating that we all give up our creature comforts.  This creature LOVES her comforts.  I am more reminding myself that in the very grand scheme of things, I have no problems.  If I get sick or if one of my loved ones gets sick we have access to medical care.  We have more than plenty food, in fact we need to be more mindful of what we waste.  I am writing this to remind myself to be grateful, and to look outside my pretty little first world life and see real need and real problems.  Please do not think I am going on a preach, well maybe I am a little bit, but the preach is focused at myself.  If it applies to you in any way, just know you are not alone.  We all have our first world problems, but when we put them in perspective, we just have some minor glitches in our rather awesome, over abundant lives.  No problems.

1 comment:

  1. Nice perspective AP! Tanzania was humbling and yet inspiring.

    ReplyDelete