Friday, January 11, 2013

Five for Friday

It is Friday.  Which is not just an awesome movie (Ice Cube at his finest).  Thus I am hitting five random musings.  Granted yesterday's post was pretty random.  I was in pain.  Actually, in pain or not that is pretty much how my brain works...so special.  Letting my five fly in 3...2...


  1. Boy Bands.  Love them or hate them, they are a part of our musical culture.  This morning I was diving and a local station was playing bands from "back in the day".  (Yes, I said, "back in the day".  I will flog myself later)  New Edition, Mr. Telephone Man, turned up to 11 (mega props if you can tell me the film I am referencing when I say "turned up to 11"), is a great way to start the day.  Then between songs the radio personalities were talking about some of the "great" boy bands; Bel Biv Devoe, New Kids on the Block, Backstreet Boys, and of course N'Sync.  I was on a ride in the way back machine of questionable music.  I have soft spot for the Boy Band.  Yes, the music is over engineered, as is the back-story of band.  Nothing is organic about Boy Band music..but it is catchy.  Note to self: quit making fun of my daughter for her love of One Direction, they are not the next Beatles, but they will be fondly recalled in 20 to 25 years.
  2. Bronzer in winter.  What can turn this girl's day from blah to banging?  Bronzer.  Yes, a slight bit of color and slight sparkle on the cheeks and nose is an attitude adjustment for me.  It is literally a cosmetic change that can make all the difference.  I can not change the temperature, or turn on the sun, but I can brush some healthy glow across my pasty white skin and make myself feel warm and glowing.  Long live the cosmetic counter!
  3. Rain in January.  Unacceptable.  Snow is white, fluffy, clean, and bright.  When it rains in January in my part of the world it just reveals that the trees have no leaves, and the dormant sickly green of the grass.  Not to mention the muddy foot prints that get tracked in be Ninja.  It turns out dogs do not know the purpose of doormats.  Kid's can not play in the rain.  They do not want to build rain-men.  No, kids want snow.  I want snow.  If anyone has any connections that can get a respectable amount of snow to my part of the world, I would be grateful and maybe even write a post entirely about how awesome you are.  Hop to it.  Make it SNOW, baby.
  4. U-turns.  Still happening.  Still making me nuts.  This might be at the top of my driving pet peeve list.  Yes, I have categorized my pet peeves because the one master list was getting a bit unwieldy.  Please...yes, I said PLEASE...stop making u-turns.  Find a business parking lot, a side street, or even someone's driveway to turn around in, and then go along your happy way.  OR, just quit being so darn confused or distracted when you drive and do it properly the in the first place.  (Stepping off the soap box...hopefully not falling)   
  5. Book Recommendation.  The Day the World Came to Town : 9/11 in Gander, Newfoundland, by Jim DeFede. I know you are thinking, "That sounds like a heavy topic, and winter is already depressing".  Well, yes, clearly 9/11 is not, and never will be a topic of great joy.  However, this is the story (or stories) of people who were on airplanes to the United States when the attacks occurred, and the airspace above the United States was closed.  This is what some of those travelers did when the worst happened.  It is a beautiful story of community and making the best of the worst.  Enough said.  Give it a try.  I have it on my kindle app. if I knew how to share or loan it, I would. (Still tech challenged, and not afraid to admit it)
Happy Weekend!
Please know you are always welcome to comment, and feel free to share this blog on your social media.

No comments:

Post a Comment