Monday, January 21, 2013

Monday Funday: Presidential Edition

Today my kids have the day off school.  Thus it is a Monday Funday, by default...even if the most fun thing we did was eat Taco Bell for lunch, and get our eyebrows threaded (for the record 2 of us threaded, my son waited and rolled his eyes...his future wife will thank me for the training.)  I am glad the kids had a free day because I could make them watch the Presidential Inauguration   I watch the Inauguration no matter who is elected, whether I voted for them or not, I will watch them sworn into office.  It makes it official.  My kids need to know that we are truly fortunate to live in a nation that leaders are elected and placed into office in a peaceful ceremony.  Obviously, this year the same president and vice president were sworn in that already held the job, so seamlessness is somewhat insured.  However, even when a new person takes office it is a changing of the guard that is not full of tumult and drama for the nation.  It makes the United States rather special.  Yes, I am hardly objective in my view of my country.  I am very proud.  I also hold the leadership of our nation in high regard.  The President of the United States deserves our respect because he is the President.  Regardless of party affiliation or any particular stance on any issue.  The office deserves respect, and the person sitting in that office deserves respect for all he (and someday, she) sacrifices to lead our nation.  I would never want to be POTUS.  I said exactly this to my daughter this morning as we were preparing for the Inauguration ceremony.
(She had a worksheet she needed to complete as she watched the ceremony.  So, I really could force her to watch with me and listen to my ramblings about how beautiful the Capitol building looked and how much I love the monuments in Washington DC.  Thank you Ms. Hubacher for the Social Studies assignment, it gave me a captive audience.)
My daughter asked me why I would not want to be POTUS .
(She lives under the assumption that I would love to boss the free world around as much as enjoy bossing her around.  The free world would probably follow my authority more willingly than my 13 year old daughter.)
I told her reason number one is I like my privacy.  I do not want my life scrutinized, my outfits criticized, my words & gestures analyzed, and most of all, my family put out for public consumption and ridicule.  I am tough, but I am not that tough.  I am also a major league Mama Bear, and if someone criticized one of my kids or my beloved it would get ugly...fast.  Being POTUS is no walk in the park.  It is not for the weak, scared, or timid.  The decision to put yourself into public office comes at such a huge personal cost.  I would not be willing to pay that price.  So I instill respecting our leaders. Strong leaders are needed.  I do not discourage public leadership as a goal for anyone.  If someday one of my children wants to be a public official, I will campaign my ass off for them.  I will write stump speeches, hang signs, make phone calls, shake hands, and not swear in public, just for my kid.  I will do whatever it takes to get them elected.  I will also admire how brave they are for giving up so much personal freedom and privacy for the greater good.  I could never do it, but I am amazing grateful to, and respectful of, all of those that do.

No comments:

Post a Comment