Friday, January 18, 2013

Five for Friday

Let me tell you about the embarrassment of riches that will become today's post.  All week I have writing down my random thoughts, beefs, and musings and now I have TEN things, but I must edit down to FIVE. Talk about First World Problems!  Yikes.  I hope I pick the right ones!
  1. This is my nemesis.  Yes, this scary LEGO scene, haunts me.  My son has a LEGO problem.  We enable his problem by buying him LEGO products for his birthday and Christmas.  We also let him use his allowance money to by LEGOs.  He is a brickmaster, and  his creations are really cool and creative.  He made me a LEGO mobile phone holder, which has cut down on my search time for my phone (Thanks kid).  However, the problem is we have a ton of little bricks and mini figures all over the house.  I can  not tell you how many times I have stepped on those tiny bricks with bare feet...OUCH.  I have bled from LEGO related trauma. This summer my son cut his hand with scissors when opening a box of LEGOs he received as a birthday gift.  The cut required 3 stitches, yes, the laceration was that deep.  Even after this injury, his passion for the bricks is still in full force.  I have a love /hate relationship with this toy.  It has given so much joy, and so much pain.  I have a feeling that I need to come to terms with LEGOs, find some peace with these hard little bricks. I will work on it.
  2. Off the diet soda.  Yes, I have given up my secondary source of caffeine.  Cold turkey.  Just decided I am not drinking soda anymore.  I am prone to capricious acts of foolishness.  It is in my DNA.  Pretty much everyday at 1 pm I have a diet soda.  Twelve days ago I decided to drink water instead, because it is healthy, hydrating, and contains no caffeine.  Here is how it is going...the first two days I thought my head was going split open.  The third day, I took a nap.  The fourth day, it became a vendetta.  I was refusing to return to my carbonated ways.  Once the vendetta stage starts I am usually pretty solid.  I have noticed that I also have less of an appetite in the afternoon.  That is a good thing. I will likely never give up coffee aka my primary source of caffeine (also the only reason I will get out bed).  Pretty sure the notion will never even cross my mind.
  3. Insomnia sucks.  I have long suffered from sleeplessness.  Also part of my DNA, I have family members that are also crappy sleepers. It pretty much blows.  I have noticed that I have been sleeping better since I gave up the afternoon diet soda.  Sadly, not a 100% solution.  The upside of insomnia is late night infomercials.  I am serious, there are some crazy products.  Even more, the people that are shilling these products are hilarious.  I do miss Billy Mays, he was the king of the infomercial   His loud and over the top style is often imitated, but can never be duplicated.  I know that watching screens is discouraged when you are an insomniac, but it is what we do.  Sometimes I read, but mostly I am trying to numb and slow down my brain so I can sleep, and the infomercial is perfect for slowing down the brain.  If you also suffer insomnia, I feel your pain.  I often wish there was some sort of insomniac "bat signal" people could put in the sky, so fellow sleep challenged could see it and then we could all meet up, chat, and pass the time until the rest of the world wakes up.  It makes no sense to call, or text a fellow sufferer, as they may actually having a great night's sleep.  It is a tricky situation.
  4. Running errands after working out. Practical? Or cruelty to those who must see, and perhaps smell you? Discuss.  I have been opting to run a few errands after my workouts this week.  Mostly because I was driving past places I needed to go on my drive home.  It has been difficult.  I not a huge fan of going out in public in yoga pants, but I really was exercising, so it is legit.  I do not feel great about it.  It is causing inner turmoil...maybe that is why I do not sleep so well???
  5. Downton Abbey.  If you are not watching Downton Abbey on PBS, you are missing a great drama.  The cast is beyond amazing, Dame Maggie Smith (aka Professor McGonagall, of Harry Potter fame), is the Dowager Countess.  It is worth watching just to hear Dame Maggie's one liners.  Downton Abbey is the story of an aristocratic family in the early 20th century.  It makes you realize how much times have changed in just a short 90-100 years.  The roles of women, how the classes interact, it is all a beautiful history lesson laid out for us on a lovely English country estate.  Give it a try.  The first season is on the streaming Netflix.  If you are already a fan, than you can understand why Sunday at 9 pm is pretty much my favorite television viewing time of the week.  
Have a great weekend.  I will keep adding to my list of crazy musings, and I will be back with you next week.   

No comments:

Post a Comment