Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Word...Its Wednesday

This is a fun word. I originally heard it in the move The Royal Tennenbaums. I had to look it up so I kept saying it in my head until I could get to my loyal dictionary. Sadly, it is one of those words that needs a special situation to apply it properly. Fortunately for me, I am prone to using overstatements, so I try to pull this word out at least quarterly...sometimes only at the holidays if it has been a unremarkable year.
preternatural- (pree-tur-NACH-err-uhl) adj. Describes things that are out of the norm, abnormal or unnatural. Not to be confused with supernatural, which implies forces beyond understanding.
Wilma had to call on preternatural physical and mental strength to pop her dislocated shoulder back into place so she could continue her hike out of the canyon.
Here is to hoping your day is preternaturally full of good and joyful things!

No comments:

Post a Comment