Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Recommended Reading

I love to read and I love to recommend books to people. I love to have books recommended to me. Sometimes I am a little disturbed when someone says, "You would love this book. It reminds me of you". Then I read it and it has murderers, affairs, cults, and crazy stuff going on. So helpful hint...just say, "I think you would like this book" and leave out how the crazy stuff somehow reminds you of me. It is not helpful to my self esteem. I would not tell you that a book about a hooker with a heart of gold reminds me of you. Anyway, since I am a blogger and I have these pages that I can attach to the blog and I have been working on book list of my favorite authors and books. The trouble I am running into is making a list, versus giving a little synopsis of each book. I have my genre categories set, but how much should I tell about each book? Should I give a mood rating? Example, read this if you want a funny book look or read this if you want to read a book about some pretty disturbed people ( Who starts a book looking for that stuff?). Honestly, I have been going to this yet unpublished page, adding books and I am still unsure of what else to say about the books. When someone recommends a book to you do you need reasons for reading the book? Do you just take the recommendation based on the person doing the recommending ? Personally, any book my mother recommends, I read. She is an avid reader of many genres. I also do not read something if she says its not good. My mom is my book authority. I have recommended books to her as well and recently lent her a book that she loved. I was so proud that she found this book as wonderful as I did. It somehow validated my book recommending credibility. So readers, please let me know do you prefer book lists, or book lists with reasons for reading? This will help me get this book page off the ground.

2 comments:

  1. I have asked college professors that I liked for their recommended reading lists - I build from there. I found a book list titled 1,001 books to read

    ReplyDelete