Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Procrastination

I like to procrastinate. Right now I should be outside raking leaves and cleaning up the yard, but instead I am writing about why I am avoiding it. See how that works? Pretty silly really. The yard will get cleaned up, I just need the right motivation. Generally that motivation is the leaf sucking truck two streets over. Then the situation is urgent and the consequences very real. The thought of leaves choking the life out of my already sketchy lawn does motivate me, just not yet. Sure right now the weather is sunny and warm. Ideal for yard work, right? NO. Ideal for a walk around the neighborhood or reading a book outside or a bike ride. Not for being productive in the out of doors. I need cold, maybe a bit of rain, the wind whipping at me. Then, and only then, do I want to take up my rake and brandish my pruners to make the yard ready for winter. Yes, that is ridiculous, but that is how procrastination works. It makes you push things to the limit of acceptability and still get things done.

Procrastination is my friend. It works for me and has for more years than I care to admit. Somehow the pressure of a very real, imminent deadline makes me feel alive. All through college I put off writing papers until the last minute. Sure I would do research and make outlines, but the actual paper was nothing until 24 to 48 hours before it was due. Packing for vacations is always the night before or the morning of departure. I know people who plan out all the things they need to bring and have their bags packed days before departure. This doesn't work for me. Sure, I am excited to go, but why do I want to walk around a packed suitcase for days prior to going? I don't. I like the pressure of getting all together, right under the wire. Perhaps I am crazy for embarrassing procrastination. Perhaps someday procrastinating will bite me in the a**. Until that happens, I will be walking past all the people doing yard work, enjoying my day. The pressure will get to me. It will get done. In my own time.

No comments:

Post a Comment