Monday, October 11, 2010

In My Opinion...

Have you ever noticed that some people's opinions matter more than others? In particular when a person compliments clothing choices. There are people who can tell me they like my outfit or a particular item I am wearing, and I say "thank you" politely, but I do not feel particularly uplifted by their kind words. Then there are those who can pay me a fashion compliment and it makes me feel like a million bucks. I do not get dressed, do my hair & make-up with the though of getting praised for my fashion prowess in mind, if it happens that is nice. I do however think of my stylish friends and I do not want to bring down the whole aesthetic of the group. As an example, if preparing for a "girls night out" I do take extra care with make-up and outfit selection. Not at all because I am trying to impress the gentlemen that may be out and about. No, I like most other women, dress to impress the other ladies I am out with. The secret is out. Women very seldom dress to impress men (because really most men have very limited fashion sense). Women dress to impress their well dressed women friends and acquaintances. The only caveat to the "men's opinions do not count" rule, is if a gay man is handing out fashion praise...that is the gold standard. Think if Carson Kressley came up and told you how nice your outfit was, or how beautifully accessorized you are today. That, my friend is high praise, from an authority on what looks good. No spouse or boyfriend can hold a candle to that kind compliment. I wish my spouse had a passion for fashion and could accessorize and style me so I always looked fabulous, but that will not happen. So I will continue rely on the compliments and direction from my trusted lady friends. Their opinions just count more.

No comments:

Post a Comment