Monday, September 13, 2010

The Thing About Monday...

It is not so much that I hate Monday. Really it is the Sunday Night Blues that make Monday seem so awful. Sunday, around 7 pm I get a melancholy feeling. Never can I place a particular cause to my melancholy, but it has always been there, since the beginning of time. I will add the the "beginning of time" for me was circa 1978, when I started kindergarten. I always liked school as a child. I have pretty much always been more of a morning person, than a night owl. So really there has never been a legitimate cause for my Sunday night sulk. However, just like the "Fridays are awesome" mentality, "Mondays are for s**t" is indoctrinated into our systems. It is as if society wants us to set aside one day of the week to be crabby and disgruntled, yet get a free pass for our grumpiness. Poor Monday. So we prepare for wretched Monday, by getting the Sunday Night Blues. Instead of enjoying our families, 60 Minutes, Ice Road Truckers, or the football game, we sit and sulk because tomorrow we have to go to work, go to school, or get back to whatever we abandon Friday at 5 pm. The funny thing is even when Monday is a holiday (like it was a week ago for Labor Day), I still get the Sunday Night Blues. Perhaps scientists should conduct a research study of this phenomenon. I will certainly volunteer my head for their brain mapping electrodes. Well, I will volunteer my head as long as I do not have to cut my hair. Perhaps until a definitive scientific study is completed, the results confirmed, and a Nobel Peace Prize given to the amazing minds that have solved the Sunday Nights Blues / Monday Morning Blows problem, can we put to rest the maligning of Monday. Until then, complain away, drink more coffee, enjoy your free pass to be grumpy, and pray for a cure...for Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment