Friday, September 10, 2010

Fine Line Friday

"There is a fine line between clever and stupid." Nigel, from This Is Spinal Tap
This movie line is one of my favorites, because it is so true. This Is Spinal Tap is a great movie, not Oscar worthy, but a fun film to check out if you love music and laughter (and who does not?). Anyway, there is loads of truth in the statement above. In truth, a fine line is what separates many things in life. The fine line is what makes or breaks an experience. Last night while I was laying in bed, listening to my sinuses fill, I thought of some "fine line" situations. Here is a short list...
  • There is a fine line between appropriate information and too much information. Case and point, my sinus filling comment. That was gross and too much information. The person that says, "I was sick over the weekend", and the person that says, "I had diarrhea all weekend". Both statements are brief, convey an illness, and an assumed bad weekend, but only one makes the listener want to run for the hills.
  • There is a fine line between hot coffee and "just right" temperature coffee. First, lets establish that I take my coffee black, so no cold liquids hit my coffee. The first sip of black coffee from home or from a coffee shop is always tongue scorching hot. Which is how coffee gets properly brewed, thus necessary. So coffee must sit for a proper amount of time to reach its "just right" temperature. Unfortunately, this "just right" temp can easily be missed if one gets a phone call, a needy child, or any variety of interruption. If I had a nickle for every cold cup of coffee I have consumed, I would be a millionaire.
  • There is a fine line between being a cat lover and a crazy cat person. The difference here is one cat. Cat lovers can have up to two cats. The third cat puts you in the crazy cat person category. This is especially apparent if you are a single woman, thus making you the crazy cat lady. This is a fine line because cats are small, and most households could hold several cats. It would be fairly easy to take in every stray cat that shows up. However, my belief (and fear) that I could become a crazy cat person keeps the feline population here to only one.

So there are a few fine line situations. I will keep looking for them and periodically posting them. Have a great weekend.

2 comments:

  1. You make me laugh!!! I love your posts!! Good thing I only have two cats, but I also have two dogs...I am pretty sure that that makes me some kind of crazy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may be a few pets away from a feature spot on Pet Hoarders on Animal Planet

    ReplyDelete