Monday, September 27, 2010

Congratulations!!!

This past weekend was my sister Betsy's wedding. She married her longtime beau, Chris. I was honored to be the officiant. It was amazing. I practiced the ceremony so many times. I had it down, it flowed. I thought, I can deliver this in a professional manner. I only wrote my "reflections" about the couple a few days prior to the ceremony, because I kept changing what I wanted to include. I could have stood up and talked for hours about how special Betsy is to me and how much Chris is an awesome addition to our family. Good thing I finally found some brief words, because I had tears streaming down my face the whole time. You can not imagine how hard it is to read when your eyes keep tearing up. I am also glad I wrote it all down, because I may have become a blathering fool if I just the "the moment" move my words. Not really very professional, but very heartfelt...and I am okay with that, and hopefully the 100-some guests were too.

If I never do another wedding, that is okay with me because this one was so special and meaningful. However, if I do officiate more weddings, I am pretty sure any others will be easier and my nervousness will be less (I always get a bit nervous in front of crowds). Betsy and Chris have been together for 11 years. Some might wonder why were they not married long ago? I know sometimes I wondered that too. The thing with those two is they are committed to each other and whether married or not they will be together. The way my brother-in-law (that is fun to write) looks at my sister says it all. He adores her, and she adores him. The "look" has been in Chris's eyes for years, ever since I was introduced to him. He knows she is a special lady. Together they are superstars. Their nephews and nieces think they are the "funnest people in the world". Their friends contributed to the the wedding toast about how caring, fun, and supportive they are as individuals and as a couple. I wish them both so much happiness and joy for the rest of their lives. I love you Betsy & Chris. (and I would not mind a niece or nephew either)

No comments:

Post a Comment