Monday, September 20, 2010

Stinky Situation

This year I have changed up some of my professional volunteering jobs. I have stepped back in some areas and added some new interests. That is the beauty of being a professional volunteer. You make your job. I tend to set a one year commitment, minimum. I do this so I have discipline and structure. Volunteering is unpaid, and flexible, but highly valued by the organizations that depend on reliable volunteers to get projects done. Schools are one place that really rely consistent and dedicated volunteers. I have kids in two different schools (because of the 5 year age gap). I try to give equal time to both schools, because I do not need one kid saying I prefer one over the other. Maybe I do, but that changes from day to day. I recall, as a child, saying to my mother, "You like Adam and Betsy better than me!". This was her reply: "No. I dislike you all, equally, right now". That is some solid parenting I received, and look how I turned out. I love my mom, she is a tell it like is lady and she does it with a smile.


Anyway, back to my latest volunteering issue. I am volunteering in the library at my oldest child's school for a few hours in the afternoon each week. Last Thursday was my first day in the library. I love books, reading, and libraries so I thought this was a great opportunity for me. Here is what I did not bargain for, BO. That is right "body odor". My eldest is in 6th grade, and has excellent hygiene because of solid parenting (a.k.a. nagging) and the invention of deodorant. Unfortunately, not every 6th grader is blessed to have a parent so dedicated to good hygiene. I am aware that these kids are at an awkward age in life. I would not go through puberty again for a million dollars. It is freaky. Your body betrays you in so many ways; hairs grow in odd places, skin breakouts, boobs, growth spurts, and body odor. Yes, growing up stinks. Literally, if you do not bathe often and apply deodorant. Fully understanding what these wonderful kids are going through, I know I should be sensitive. However, all I can think about is; how can I get these kids to not wreak? I have a very low tolerance for stink. In fact, at one point during my library time, I went to restroom to make sure I was not stinky (I was not). I have a paranoia about smelling bad, and also about wearing too much perfume. I like to smell neutral, a good pleasant neutral smell. That is what I want for these 6th graders, a nice neutral smell. How I can accomplish this is my new mission. Yes, I want them to enjoy library time, and I want to suggest good books for them, and somehow by the end of the school year I want them all to not smell bad. Is that a vain project? Perhaps. Will it make the world a better place? Probably not. Will it increase my joy in volunteering? Absolutely.

2 comments:

  1. try driving homea 14 year old after Cross Country practice! Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to febreeze a few 7th graders last year.

    ReplyDelete