Friday, February 17, 2012

Five for Friday

Ahhhh....welcome to weekend (almost).  It has been a chilly week here. Snow & ice and everything nice!  Hopefully you have some good stuff happening for your weekend.  Relaxing with a good book certainly counts as good stuff, in my humble opinion.  Here are five random thought or opinions...


  1. There is no way to gracefully fall in public.  I have been determined to go for at least 3 or 4 long walks each week.  I would love to say everyday, but that does not happen so 3 or 4 walks per week is satisfactory.  I also am a firm believer in the saying, "There is no bad weather, just bad clothing.".  This keeps me moving in the snow and cold.  I did not account for all the ice.  I took a major slip and fall on Wednesday morning.  I tried to stop myself by doing that odd helicopter movement people do whilst falling.  The helicopter arms did not help.  I still sat it right down on the sidewalk.  I think the arm whirling only made it funnier for the passing cars.  The thing that is the most damaged is my ego, and my left hip is calling in as a close second.  The bruises on my body will heal, the embarrassment of a public fall may last a lifetime.
  2. Middle school students do not wear outerwear.  Each cold morning my daughter and I have the same issue.  She tries to leave the house just wearing a hoody, and I tell her to put on her winter jacket.  When she leaves it is cold, when she returns it is cold.  It is winter.  It is cold. Her reasoning for not wearing outerwear is, "No one wears a jacket".  I thought she was kidding.  Who does not wear a jacket when it is cold out?  If you have access to a warm coat, you should wear it.  End of discussion.  Right?  Wrong.  I picked her up from school one day last week, a cold day.  As I waited in the parking lot, the bell sounded, and throngs of middle school students poured out of the building, mostly wearing hoodies, much like my daughters.  A hooded sweatshirt on a 28 degree day?  Ridiculous.  I know that these kids likely have outwear for this weather, and none of them wear it.  I can not wrap my head around this silliness.  My daughter must have read my mind as she entered the car because her first words were, "I told you no one wears coats."  Who knew?
  3. Book recommendation.  Anything by David Sedaris.  He is an amazing writer.  It is self-deprecating humor at its finest.  It is the perfect type of writing to read if you can not invest yourself in a novel or length type book.  Each chapter stands alone, so you can read a little put it down and not feel like you need to catch up because the last time you read was two weeks ago.  He also has a sophisticated vocabulary.  I like.  I like a lot.
  4. Lying to the dentist.  I went to the dentist this week for the general 6 month cleaning.  My dentist is under the impression that I floss regularly and avoid beverages that stain my teeth.  He always pays me a compliment about my great smile.  I always say, "Oh, thanks".  I never mention that I drink coffee like it is my job.  I neglect to inform him that I only floss when I have food caught in my teeth or  when I get the reminder call that I have a dentist appointment.  He probably would not want to see the box (yes, I said "box") of red wine on my kitchen counter either.  Lets face it I got lucky and have teflon enamel on my teeth.  God and my parents should take credit for my dazzling smile, not me.  However, I shall continue to let the dentist think I am a model patient.
  5. Sketchy.  My husband and I watched a show several months ago and the television presenter said, "It has been a while since I have done something sketchy".  The show was really stupid.  That phrase was the best part.  It has become a household catch phrase.  The cat runs through the living room, someone says, "Yoda is being sketchy".  I arrive late for a pick-up, "Mom, why you gotta be so sketchy?".  My son, in his underwear in the living room, "Pants make me feel sketchy."  He is then asked to go get some sketchy pants on, NOW.  It is such a fun word.  It actually makes me want to go out and be "sketchy".  Try it out.  Most assuredly you will enjoy it.
Have a great weekend, and send me a comment about anything sketchy you may have done.  Your secret is safe with me.  

2 comments:

  1. Middle school students don't wear outerwear because it clogs their lockers and the don't see the light of day between 8 and 3.

    There is nothing wrong with boxed red wine.

    Oh how I wish you lived closer. I need a walking buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I clearly need someone to pick me up!

    ReplyDelete