Monday, January 3, 2011

What's in a Word?

"Resolution", that is a word we here a lot, maybe too much this time of year. I hesitate to use the word "resolution" to describe the changes I am working to implement in my own life. It seems if you say, "My New Year's resolution is ___________", you almost set yourself up for failure. People expect you to stick with something until around Groundhog Day, or maybe just until MLK Day, then go back to the "old you". Even I have in the past said I prefer most of my friends a little chubby, tipsy, and happy, as opposed to thin, sober, and miserable. I say that in jest, mostly. However this year I have set some goals for myself that involve healthier eating, really just trying to stick to the Food Pyramid, cutting out the junky stuff. Really just doing what is sensible and avoiding the refined sugars. I am not resolved enough to give up fruit, nor do I even think cutting fruit out is a good idea. Hopefully calling this a "goal" will help me on the path to better health.

This realization that my diet needs to improve has led to a major break up in my life. The ending of a long and tumultuous relationship. I decided back in November that sugar was my Achilles heal, so I needed to dump it. However, deciding to breakup with sugar during the holidays seemed cruel. So sugar and I continued to see each other. I was becoming distant, a bit detached. I am sure sugar had an idea that this was going to happen, but perhaps sugar was in denial about how rocky our relationship had become. Sugar would show up at a lot of the places I frequented, parties, treat bags, coffee shops. I started giving sugar the cold shoulder more often, sure we had some "hook ups", a girl has needs. However, as of January 2nd sugar and Allie have broken up. No late night calls, no afternoon quickies, no sugar for me. I know that it won't be easy. Sugar is sweet and hangs out with out some of my closest friends, dark chocolate and red wine. However, I am going to have to let sugar have those friends in the break up. Isn't that how most break ups go, you have to split the friends. So I get fruit, and sugar gets dark chocolate & red wine. I am sure we can keep the split amicable. And thank goodness I take my coffee black.

No comments:

Post a Comment