Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year--1/1/11

Happy 2011! The new year has begun, well at least a few hours of it, and I am hoping it is full of good and exciting things. I am lucky because I am what is commonly known as "the new year's baby". Okay, really I am no more or less fortunate than anyone else. We all had to be born sometime and I picked January 1st. Once again, not that I really made a conscious decision about that either, but it is what it is. However, because of my January 1st birth date, no matter how long I live, anytime my identification is viewed or a form with blank for DOB is required, someone will say, "Oh. A new year's baby!". It gets old, but it is what I endure. My penance for ruining a New Year's Eve celebration many moons ago for my parents. My children laugh when store clerks check my ID when I make a credit card purchase, and the "new year's baby" comment comes up. They spend the next few minutes calling me "baby new year". I am sure it is fun calling your parent a baby, but I will never know. My mom was born in December, on a non-noteworthy day. My dad, could have been a "new year's baby"---he was less motivated and ended up with January 2nd birthday. Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades, he should have been more persistent.

Anyway, another year older and standing at the beginning of the new year, I wish you all good health, happiness, and wisdom in 2011.

1 comment:

  1. Happy birthday! I feel priviledged to have spent new years with you and nick for the first time many moons ago!

    Personally, with the girls I wanted to deliver one on new years eve and one on new years day, but they were stubborn and wanted to be born at term. Stinkers.

    ReplyDelete