Monday, January 10, 2011

Keeping Up...

The Kardashians have nothing on my family. Try keeping up with us. Really, I often think I am running behind. The calendar and the lists keep me hopping. Do I think I am different from any other parent? Absolutely not. I am certain that many of us open the kids backpacks and feel dread at another note about an upcoming event, or even worse an event you missed, because the note was wadded up at the bottom of the backpack. Parenting is fraught with guilt. Guilt over missing something. Guilt over feeling apathetic about an event. Guilt over being tired because you have stayed up all night baking for a bake sale. Guilt over sending store bought items for a bake sale. Pretty much you can not win when spin the wheel of parental guilt. No matter what you land on, you will feel guilty. The strange thing about all of this guilt and self-flagellation is the kids do not really care most of time. How do I know this? I asked. My kids really do not care if I do everything at their schools. Sure they like to see me there now and then, but it does not ruin their lives when I can't do something. Here is what they like...getting picked up from school or driven to school once in a while. Both of them have shared that they like riding in the car with just me. Weird. However, knowing this helps erase some of the guilt over the other stuff. I can handle a pick-up or drop-off once a week. Maybe I need to keep up with my kids expectations instead of the PTA's expectations. My kids seem to have much more reasonable standards.

Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment